Sunday, July 19, 2009

Update

The museum sale went really well! I sold five pieces out of ten submitted, which is better than average. Also, I was able to donate 4 more pieces to various silent auctions in the area, and, while they didn't sell for very much, at least my work is out there for people to see.

According to the folks at the gallery, people aren't quite sure what they're looking at when they see my work, despite the informational tags. Everybody thinks it's cool and amazing when they see the piece and find out what it is, but then nobody buys the work. I've found the same to be true with my website, despite the site creators making me a featured artist for free. It's disheartening.

I'm beginning to think that the best way for me to make money at this is to do art fairs; but the expense to do that is huge. When I can talk to people and explain my methods and the backstory to the piece, they usually make the purchase, but I don't want to have to sell a minimum of ten pieces in one day to just cover the booth expense.

No comments:

Post a Comment